The Snapshot Reports are an analysis of the dataset underlying the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) LED Lighting Facts Product List. These reports are designed to help retailers, distributors, designers, utilities, energy efficiency program sponsors, and other industry stakeholders understand the current state of the LED lighting market and its trajectory.
The U.S. Department of Energy's CALiPER program’s latest Snapshot Report features linear LED lamps, commonly known as TLEDs. Among the key findings of the new Snapshot, which is based on DOE's LED Lighting Facts database:
- TLEDs now comprise more than 50% of all listed lamps, and more than 10% of all listed products.
- TLEDs offer the highest mean efficacy of any lamp type, and also offer the listed product with the highest efficacy (190 lm/W).
- In aggregate, TLED efficacy decreases by 3 lm/W for every 1000 K decrease in CCT.
- While the raw efficacy of TLEDs exceeds that of dedicated LED troffers, the reverse is true if TLED efficacy is adjusted to account for luminaire efficiency. In other words, dedicated LED troffers tend to exceed the efficacy of troffers fitted with TLEDs.
At first glance, TLEDs may appear superior to retrofit kits or dedicated LED fixtures for replacing a fluorescent lighting system, with higher efficacy and likely lower product and installation costs. But accounting for factors such as luminaire efficiency may tip the balance against TLEDs in some scenarios. Nevertheless, viable TLED options are increasingly available, and as they push the efficacy limits for LED products, they can be compelling replacements for fluorescent tubes, as long as other tradeoffs are appropriately accounted for.
- December 2016 Snapshot: Troffers
- August 2016 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- June 2016 Snapshot: TLEDs
- April 2016 Snapshot: Downlights
- January 2016 Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- July 2014 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Luminaires
- April 2014 Product Snapshot: Indoor LED Luminaires
- January 2014 Product Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- October 2013 Product Snapshot: A Lamps
- July 2013 Product Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- April 2013 Product Snapshot: Indoor Ambient Lighting
- July 2012 Product Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps
- December 2011 Snapshot: LED Luminaires
- May 2011 Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps