The Snapshot Reports are an analysis of the dataset underlying the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) LED Lighting Facts Product List. These reports are designed to help retailers, distributors, designers, utilities, energy efficiency program sponsors, and other industry stakeholders understand the current state of the LED lighting market and its trajectory.
“Industrial” luminaires are prevalent in both the commercial and industrial sectors, providing economical ambient lighting in large, open indoor spaces such as warehouses, manufacturing facilities, and big-box retail stores. Industrial luminaires are divided into two categories: low-bay and high-bay. Typically, low-bay fixtures are used for heights up to 20 feet, whereas high-bay fixtures are used where ceilings exceed 20 feet. Given the space demands, high-lumen-output luminaires are required, with low-bay options typically emitting between 5,000 and 20,000 lumens per fixture and high-bay options emitting between 15,000 and 100,000 lumens per fixture.
Prior to this report, the last time a CALiPER Snapshot included industrial fixtures was in April 2014. A lot has changed since then. For one thing, the LED Lighting Facts database now has almost four times the number of products listed, and the average efficacy of listed products has increased by more than 25%. These changes are also apparent when specifically considering industrial luminaires. In June 2014, the mean efficacy for listed industrial luminaires was 93 lm/W; today, it is about 20% higher, at 115 lm/W. Approximately 23% of the listed industrial products have a luminous efficacy greater than 130 lm/W, with 5% exceeding 150 lm/W and 1% exceeding 175 lm/W. These values are substantially higher than the average efficacy of metal halide and fluorescent fixtures, which typically fall between 70 and 90 lm/W.
- March 2017 Snapshot: Industrial Luminaires
- December 2016 Snapshot: Troffers
- August 2016 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- June 2016 Snapshot: TLEDs
- April 2016 Snapshot: Downlights
- January 2016 Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- July 2014 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Luminaires
- April 2014 Product Snapshot: Indoor LED Luminaires
- January 2014 Product Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- October 2013 Product Snapshot: A Lamps
- July 2013 Product Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- April 2013 Product Snapshot: Indoor Ambient Lighting
- July 2012 Product Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps
- December 2011 Snapshot: LED Luminaires
- May 2011 Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps