The Snapshot Reports are an analysis of the dataset underlying the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) LED Lighting Facts product list. This document is designed to help retailers, distributors, designers, utilities, energy efficiency program sponsors, and other industry stakeholders understand the current state of the LED replacement lamps market and its trajectory.
Ambient lighting is a broad category that encompasses a wide range of luminaire types. As opposed to task or focal lighting, the illumination provided by troffers and downlights is generally not targeted to a specific task or object. Ambient lighting products are often considered utilitarian, but they nonetheless serve a very important role in both commercial and residential spaces.
This Product Snapshot reflects the LED Lighting Facts database as of April 1, 2013. It includes overall trends for all of the products listed, but focuses on three groups that are most commonly associated with ambient lighting: recessed and surface-mounted LED downlights, recessed and surface-mounted dedicated LEDtroffers, and linear LED lamps, which are most often used in troffer luminaires. The products within each of these groups vary widely and are not necessarily limited to the most common form factors; in addition to 2×4 or 2×2 troffers, 4' T8 lamps, and 6" recessed downlights, specialty items like pinhole downlights and 2' lamps are also included in the LED Lighting Facts database.
- August 2016 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- June 2016 Snapshot: TLEDs
- April 2016 Snapshot: Downlights
- January 2016 Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- July 2014 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Luminaires
- April 2014 Product Snapshot: Indoor LED Luminaires
- January 2014 Product Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- October 2013 Product Snapshot: A Lamps
- July 2013 Product Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- April 2013 Product Snapshot: Indoor Ambient Lighting
- July 2012 Product Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps
- December 2011 Snapshot: LED Luminaires
- May 2011 Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps