The Snapshot Reports are an analysis of the dataset underlying the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) LED Lighting Facts Product List. These reports are designed to help retailers, distributors, designers, utilities, energy efficiency program sponsors, and other industry stakeholders understand the current state of the LED lighting market and its trajectory.
Although A lamps comprise only 10% of the lamps currently listed by LED Lighting Facts—in contrast with over 60% that are directional lamps—they remain a key market segment, predominantly because they are the most consumer-oriented product type. LED A lamps currently compete against compact fluorescent (CFL) and incandescent lamps. However, regulations that limit the input power of general service lamps are currently being phased in , meaning incandescent A lamps will make way for more energy-efficient halogen versions.
Performance differences among the multitude of LED products are substantial, although many LED A lamps are more energy efficient than the other alternatives. The biggest differences between products tend to be luminous intensity distribution, color quality, dimming, and compatibility with controls. This report examines overall trends for products listed by LED Lighting Facts as either A lamps (new classification system) or Omni directional Replacement Lamps (old classification system). Highlights include:
- Of the A lamps currently listed by LED Lighting Facts, 95% meet the current ENERGY STAR efficacy criterion, and nearly 90% meet the new ENERGY STAR criterion set to take effect in September 2014.
- Several LED A lamps are now available with lumen output equivalent to traditional 75 W and 100 W incandescent A lamps.
- Approximately 91% of currently listed LED A lamps have a CRI in the 80s, and most of those products have a nominal CCT of either 2700 K or 3000 K.
- December 2016 Snapshot: Troffers
- August 2016 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- June 2016 Snapshot: TLEDs
- April 2016 Snapshot: Downlights
- January 2016 Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- July 2014 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Luminaires
- April 2014 Product Snapshot: Indoor LED Luminaires
- January 2014 Product Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- October 2013 Product Snapshot: A Lamps
- July 2013 Product Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- April 2013 Product Snapshot: Indoor Ambient Lighting
- July 2012 Product Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps
- December 2011 Snapshot: LED Luminaires
- May 2011 Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps