Before a product can be submitted to LED Lighting Facts, the manufacturer partner must indicate that it is currently available in the United States market. It is important to buyers and specifiers to know if products are market ready when evaluating them for purchase or programs. When submitting product information for a label, partners will be required to check one of the following options:
- Yes - standard stocked product or in-stores: Available for purchase from retailers or distributors. No special order is required. If a manufacturer has stopped production of a product but knows that the product is temporarily available because of remaining stock, this option should remain selected until the product is no longer in stock.
- Yes - made to order product: Available for purchase direct from the manufacturer or available from a distributor through a specified order.
- Not yet commercially available: Not yet commercially available, but the LED Lighting Facts listing is required before the product can be introduced into market channels. The product is expected to be available in the market within the next year.
Annual Product Status Update
The commercial availability status for all products must be updated annually. This ensures that the LED Lighting Facts database represents only products that are available in the market.
Required Annual Status Update Actions
Manufacturers are prompted to review products that require updating from the Manufacturer Dashboard, which is available after using their secure log-in, and are required to review the status of a product and confirm its availability annually. Product status may be characterized using one of the following four definitions:
- Standard Stocked Product or In-stores: Available for purchase from retailers or distributors. No special order is required. If a manufacturer has stopped production of a product but knows that the product is temporarily available because of remaining stock, this option should remain selected until the product is no longer in stock.
- Made to Order Product: The product is available for purchase direct from the manufacturer or available from a distributor through a specified order.
- Not Yet Available: The product is not yet commercially available, but the manufacturer requires the LED Lighting Facts listing before the product can be introduced into market channels. The manufacturer expects that the product will be available in the market soon.
- No Longer Available: The product will not be, or is no longer, available for purchase. If you have any listings that are no longer in the marketplace please select "No Longer Available". This option will archive the product, meaning that it will not longer be seachable on the products page and there will be no access to the label for the product.
Products that are designated as not commercially available by the manufacturer will be archived and only searchable from the product archive list. New products that are left unchanged by the manufacturer after an additional 30 day grace period (13 months from the date of approval) will also be archived. Legacy products that are left unchanged by the manufacturer after 6 months from the most recent update date will also be archived. Archived products can no longer generate a label or be found from the Public Product List, and must be resubmitted to the program for review if it is to be re-activated.
Optional Product Updates
SSL product performance is improving rapidly; in fact, products are sometimes overhauled several times a year. Manufacturers are encouraged to edit and update existing listings so that users can adequately evaluate products. There are three ways a manufacturer can update an existing listing:
- Edit a Product: Some performance metrics and product characteristics can be edited without resubmitting it for further approval from LED Lighting Facts including:
- Blank/empty performance characteristics that do not require additional documentation
- All of the product characteristics except type and category
- Listed metrics (as long as the values still fall within the allowable tolerances)
- Partial Submission: If upgrading the product listing with new warranty or dimming information, the product can be submitted for partial submission. The product listing will still be active while waiting for verification and it will not create a new listing once approved; the listing will just be updated with the new information.
- New Versions: If multiple variations of a product are available in the market, then the manufacturer will want to create a new version, with the updated product information, and consequently have two listings of the same product. The older version will have an identical model number and is to remain on the public products list, the new version must contain an Upgrade Date in the model number to distinguish it from the older version.