The Snapshot Reports are an analysis of the dataset underlying the LED Lighting Facts Product List. These reports are designed to help retailers, distributors, designers, utilities, energy efficiency program sponsors, and other industry stakeholders understand the current state of the LED lighting market and its trajectory. In February 2017, LED Lighting Facts launched a new analysis tool (Product Snapshot Analytics: http://lightingfacts.com/Analytics) that allows users to generate, in real time, some of the data and charts shown in this report.
This report focuses on outdoor area/roadway luminaires (including street lighting and wall packs), parking garage luminaires, and canopy luminaires (e.g., those used for gas station fuel pump areas). LED outdoor area lighting has been a major component of the LED Lighting Facts database since its inception, consistently being one of the categories with the most products. As of September 20, 2017, area/roadway products alone comprised 21% of the database, with the other two product categories featured in this report collectively comprising approximately 5%. These percentages have been fairly consistent over the past seven years.
Using the LED Lighting Facts database, it is possible to track and understand how performance has changed over time. As with the broader set of products, the efficacy of LED outdoor area products continues to improve.
- Mean efficacies for the three product categories are between 99 and 106 lm/W, with more than 30 products exceeding 150 lm/W. Mean efficacies have risen by 8 to 9 lm/W over the past year.
- This has occurred simultaneously with decreases in average CCT. While many early LED area lighting products were 5000 K or higher, there has been a measurable shift toward 4000 K products, and there is now a sizeable percentage of products available at 3000 K or lower.
- At any given output level up to the equivalent of 1,000 W HPS (about 100,000 lm delivered), LED products are available with substantially higher efficacy than that of their conventional counterparts.
- June 2017 Snapshot: Downlights
- March 2017 Snapshot: Industrial Luminaires
- December 2016 Snapshot: Troffers
- August 2016 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- June 2016 Snapshot: TLEDs
- April 2016 Snapshot: Downlights
- January 2016 Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- July 2014 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Luminaires
- April 2014 Product Snapshot: Indoor LED Luminaires
- January 2014 Product Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- October 2013 Product Snapshot: A Lamps
- July 2013 Product Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- April 2013 Product Snapshot: Indoor Ambient Lighting
- July 2012 Product Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps
- December 2011 Snapshot: LED Luminaires
- May 2011 Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps